Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Thankful



Recently a friend and fellow abortioneer passed away. It was pretty shocking and I'm still wrestling with my own emotions and the after math of what that loss means. In the face of this very unexpected event I can't focus enough to write about any of the 100+ topics that are constantly swimming around in my skull.

I feel like sometimes when it feels like something terrible has happened the best thing to do is to count my blessings and take as many moments as I can to be thankful. I've lost a friend and colleague. When I wake up in the morning its among the first things I think about and many people around me are in a state of shock or mourning.

With Thanksgiving tomorrow its only one more reason to remember what we are thankful for. I am thankful to have "grown up" in abortionland. I'm thankful for lovers and friends who have been so supportive always. I'm thankful for my family, especially my wonderful Godchildren. I am thankful to pursue a career that feels meaningful and stimulating to me. I am thankful for my fellow abortioneers and a forum like this blog. I am thankful for my health. I'm thankful I can help provide much needed health care.

What are you Thankful for?

2 comments:

  1. I am thankful for awesome, supportive friends and family and for amazing co-bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thankful that we keep trying to make things better for people needing abortions, even when it's tiring or frustrating or overwhelming. I'm thankful for our little community of abortioneers who do our best to support one another through the deaths of colleagues, scary threats from antis, or complicated times with our relatives. And thankful that I didn't have any awkward conversations about my work over Thanksgiving dinner -- instead they were really nice conversations!

    ReplyDelete

This is not a debate forum -- there are hundreds of other sites for that. This is a safe space for abortion care providers and one that respects the full spectrum of reproductive choices; comments that are not in that spirit will either wind up in the spam filter or languish in the moderation queue.