Thursday, December 1, 2011

Desembarazarme meets Siri


I don't have an iPhone, but my co-worker and carpool partner does, and this evening, she let me have a go at it.

While still in the parking lot of our clinic, I tested what we already know:
Desembarazarme: "Siri, I'm pregnant and I want to have an abortion."
Siri: "I'm sorry. I can't find any abortion clinics nearby."
So perhaps I'm only hallucinating my job.

Then, to see what she thought of the taboo word, itself, I challenged:
Desembarazarme: "Siri, abortion!"
Siri: "I'm sorry. I can't find any abortion clinics."
Completely foreign to her, but she IS able to extrapolate on it? Hmm.

As we continued own the street, my co-worker attempted:
Co-worker: "Siri, please help me find [Anonymous Abortion Clinic Where We Work]."
Siri: "I'm sorry. I can't find [Anonymous Abortion Clinic Where We Work]"
Desembarazarme: "Siri, please help me find [store across the street from the clinic]."
Siri: "I have located two nearby locations of [chain store across the street from the clinic]."

Next, I ventured to alternative pregnancy options:
Desembarazarme: "Siri, I want to give my baby up for adoption."
Siri: "I have found one nearby adoption agency."

And then, a different kind of pregnancy option:
Desembarazarme: "Siri, I want to become pregnant by artificial insemination."
Siri: "I have located ten nearby baby stores."
OK, so that was funny.

But then, the kicker:
Desembarazarme: "Siri, I am pregnant and I want to go to a pregnancy resource center."
Siri: "I have found two nearby pregnancy resource centers."


No comments:

Post a Comment

This is not a debate forum -- there are hundreds of other sites for that. This is a safe space for abortion care providers and one that respects the full spectrum of reproductive choices; comments that are not in that spirit will either wind up in the spam filter or languish in the moderation queue.